Golf Cart and Low Speed Vehicle Use
- Golf Carts must have a Town of Edisto Beach Decal to operate in Town Limits
- Must be displayed on left side of vehicle where it is clearly visible.
- Golf Carts must have a state DMV Golf Cart permit
- Registration and Insurance must be present in the Golf Cart at all times.
- A permit can be obtained at any state DMV office by showing proof of ownership and insurance.
- An ATV, side by side, or UTV is not a Golf Cart, if DMV issued a permit to these in error, it is not valid permit.
- All certified manufactured Golf Carts can not exceed 19 MPH.
- Operator must have a valid Driver’s License and on the operator at all times.
- Golf Carts can only be operated during daylight hours only (30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset).
- Golf Carts can only be operated within 4 miles of the DMV registered address.
- Golf Carts can only be operated on a secondary roadway or street.
- Golf Carts may not be operated on a Primary Highway, but can cross over a Primary Highway.
- Must go straight across, cannot be at an angle.
- Palmetto Boulevard is a Primary Highway, SC HWY 174, and stops at Sunset Street.
- Open container, all motor vehicle, and parking laws apply to Golf Carts.
Golf Cart Registration Form
LOW SPEED VEHICLES (LSV)
In accordance with South Carolina code of law 56-2-100, a Low Speed Vehicle is a four-wheeled vehicle whose speed attainable in one mile is more than twenty miles per hour (20 mph) and not more than twenty-five miles per hour (25 mph). A LSV may be operated only on a highway for which the posted speed limit is 35 miles an hour or less. Like a golf cart, an LSV may cross a primary highway or at an intersection where the highway has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour but cannot travel along these highways or streets. Like a golf cart, an LSV can only be operated by a person with a valid driver's license, a permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles and proof of insurance. The state will not title or register homemade Low Speed Vehicles. A LSV can only be operated on roads having speed limits of thirty-five miles per hour (35 mph) or less. A LSV is factory equipped with windshield wipers, rear-view and side-view mirrors, speedometer, turn signals, horn, DOT headlights, taillights, and seatbelts. A LSV may be operated after dark.